Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Reassignment Surgery: Chaos Counts-As

I have more ideas for models I'd like to use than I have money, painting time, gaming time, or actual good counts-as units to use them for!  But reassessing some of my options for Chaos Marines and Daemons today, I have rethought some of my monstrous models and what I might like to field them as.


I was thinking before that these centigor beasties would make good spawn or fiends of Slaanesh, and they would still be good for both.  Mostly because they are bestial cavalry.  But looking at options today, now I'm thinking that in a Daemon army or ally contingent, they might also make cool Bloodcrushers.  I love the new designs on juggers, but I'm unlikely to spend the money on them since I have lots of models I'm not using now.  I was planning to paint my centaur-beastmen reddish anyway, so they'd fit well.  Fast and furious cavalry that gets in close and tears you up .  The only limitation for me is that I have only three models, which works for the basic unit but not if I want to add models.  

WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Sv

5
5
5
4
3
4
3
7
6+




The Bloodcrusher role I did have reserved for my newly minted Ogre models now potentially going to the centaurs, I browsed the unit listings to see what else the Ogres might be good at.  And although I wasn't really planning on running any Mutilators before, they might make cool ones for a CSM force (as well as being big ugly spawn, though they look too fat and slow to be beasts).  As Mutilators they are slow and bulky, but powerful and durable.  Hell, nigh unkillable with their saves and two wounds!  The stat line fits pretty well, and add in the close combat weapon mutations and armor/invulns, and they are massive and ugly and deadly up close!  Again, the unit would be limited to three models due to Multilator limits, but who would need more than three of these??

WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Sv

4
4
4
4
2
4
2
 8
2+



Neither of these are perfect fits, but I like to build my force around cool models as much as cool units.  And with the forces of Chaos, monsters come first!

3 comments:

  1. I could see the Ogres as Mutilators for sure. Maybe add a few spikey bits here and there but I don't think they need much at all to look the part.

    I think the Centigors would make great Fiends. They could work as Spawn but the base size could be an issue with some folks since it should be 40mm. I've actually thought of using those as Rough Riders for my IG allies when I get around to it. I have Beastmen that will be grunts in my IG force so it fits for my theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea for chaos rough riders! And i'd love to see beastmen outfitted as IG too. Can't wait to see your finished products (which, if you're like me, will be done after we retire...)

      Delete
  2. Well, the plan is to start on my IG allies once I get my Flesh Hounds done for our big tournament in November. That's the plan at least...

    ReplyDelete