Friday, October 3, 2014

Finding (and Losing) Time to Write


A quick (and dismal) observation:

I woke up first this morning, which is normal, but being Saturday I thought, "Ah-ha, finally, time to write while the family sleeps!  I'll get another chapter knocked out."  I came downstairs, let the dogs out, and turned on my laptop.

First, check the email, really quick.

Top email is from Joni at the Writers of the Future Contest saying the WotF Blog has posted the contest results.  Hey, there it is, my name in lights.  Oh, look at that, she even posted me as "stationed in Japan," cool!

Well, I guess I could blog that quick.

Write two brief paragraphs, add picture.  Done.

Well, I could tweak and add those other blog pages I've been thinking about.  Fix one page, add two more.  Easy but takes time.
 
Post updates for new blog page to two Facebook pages.  (I hates me some Facebook...) Respond to a couple updates from others posted weeks ago.

Somewhere in here the family woke up and came down.  And now, two hours later, I have spent two hours of my novel writing time screwing around on the internet.  Almost all writing-related, but still...

Email is not writing.  Blogging is not writing.  And Facebook sure as hell is not writing.  

*sigh*


6 comments:

  1. Hah, that's how free time goes for us all. You think you have so much time, what's it matter if I spend 10 minutes doing this first? It then snowballs as one thing leads to another. I know the situation well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. I really have to stop myself and say, "No, I'll do the important stuff first, then if I have time I can do the screwing around." Another day lost.

      Delete
    2. I'm doing it right now. I should be working on the last model I need to get done for a tournament next month but I'm typing this instead...

      Delete
  2. Yes, definitely. Right now I am not writing. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I WAS writing, Sonya, but now I'm not again...

      Delete