Thursday, January 1, 2015

Prince of Thorns Book Review

I was determined to finish this book by 2015's opening, and I managed to do so today on the First.  I don't want to make it sound like a chore though; this was a fun, easy read that kept me very interested.  Below is my official Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble review.  (Though I have to point out that it's frustrating leaving a review on B&N because there doesn't seem to be a spot for the "headline" until after it posts, at which point it looks like I missed it...  Damn site.)


A Dark, Page-Turning Fantasy Ride

My first impression of Jorg, the narrator and hero of Prince of Thorns, was that I might not like him, even though he did remind me of Alex from A Clockwork Orange.  (Turned out I hit that right on the nose, as the author himself directed me to an article where he said that Burgess’s classic was the inspiration for this book!)  Jorg is driven by rage and revenge and, being a teenager, that fit him well.  What else motivates young men other than passion?  Even though he wasn’t always a “good guy,” Jorg did mature a bit over the course of the book and I got to like him.


The book also enjoyed (as I did) a very quick pace, cool quests, an unruly band of thugs as heroes, some cool monsters and magic, and some surprising world-building.  I’m definitely interested in Book Two and will add it to the list.  4.5 stars from me (rounded up to 5). 


(I'd also like to note that part of my New Years Resolutions is to read more novels and review them when I'm done.  My Resolutions posting is coming up next...)


No comments:

Post a Comment